Monday, April 25, 2016

Pneumatic paint canon! (updated 5/24/16)


That's how most of my ideas start out.....but usually change!
A company my brother works for, needed a paint canon for a color run, so I set to work!


I was thinking about designing my own quick/high flow electric solenoid, but do to time and money, decided to do the next best thing. (in my opinion)

I started with a 1 1/4 inch ball valve, and an used 1" bore air cylinder.  So with 100psi I'd have (.5'' x .5'' x 3.14 x 100psi ) 78.5 psi of pushing strength through the air cylinder, to open the ball valve.  Now the ball valve didn't take anywhere near 78.5 pounds to open,  but,  I didn't just want the ball valve to open, it needed to open fast.


Had an old key fob remote relay I got off eBay (really handy and cheap to have around, this is something similar - http://amzn.to/1Tyd2hm) So wired that into the 12v small air solenoid, it worked awesome!  Check out the youtube video at the bottom of the page.





Test fire video:


No comments:

Post a Comment