Monday, September 7, 2015

Custom belay bar!

     A friend of mine is building a rock climbing wall, and didn't wanna dish out the 100$ to buy a belay bar he saw online.  I tried finding one on amazon to show you, but this is all that came up - http://amzn.to/1K2s21t - Not even sure what that is.  Anyway.  Just for the record, unless you can fabricate pretty well, 100$ isn't that bad for a device that'll be holding your butt 25+ft off the ground.
    This is pretty much what I came up with after looking at the picture he had.  This is one of the project I hope DOES work! =P

I used 3/16 hot rolled steel for the main structure, and a piece of 1 1/2" drive shaft tube I got out of the scrap bin.  Not wanting the bends at a 90 degree angle, I went a tad wider.  I don't know exact degree, I just bent them to what I thought looked good, and used this handy and cheap tool (http://amzn.to/1NqK1FU) to duplicate the angle.  I don't use it much, but its well worth it, when i do need it.  
    It probably didn't need it, but I desided to weld a 1/8 X 1" flat bar across the top to really strengthen it up! Finishing it up, I tig-welded the tubes in and wire brushed it.  Hmm what color to paint them?





1 comment: